Defining the business case
Managing the business case for the release of our new mobile app was down to me. As you can imagine for a project like this, our objectives were pretty wide-ranging. We needed to ensure a smooth transition to a stable app so our customers could carry on managing their accounts. We also wanted to improve the user experience and functionality. From our point of view, it was imperative that introducing the app didn’t create additional risks and compromise profitability.
One of the key challenges was balancing the expectations of senior stakeholders in the marketing team and the people in our tech teams. It was my job to keep us on point and focused on the intent. On the one hand we had to assess and manage credit risks while, on the other, our software developers were keen to get a product out into the wild and add new features. We wanted to achieve as much as possible but there were commercial realities to consider; time constraints etc. I had to be realistic about what could be achieved.
For the project to be successful, a massive amount of collaboration was needed. There were people involved in the project at all levels and from all areas, and none of them could deliver what they needed to without me and my team assembling the business case.
I’m really proud of what we achieved. Firstly, we replaced an old app with one that looks and feels brand new. It also adds new functionality for customers to make payments. We don’t stand to make much (if any) money from doing that, but we did it because we knew people wanted it and because it’s the right thing to do.
The other advantage of this update was to bring the app in-house. We built it on new code written by our own software engineers. This means we can update the app much more often (every couple of weeks if we need to), adding features that customers suggest in App Store reviews etc. This helps us build trust with our customers, and people get genuinely excited when their suggestion appears as a new feature. That’s not bad going.