Business Analyst - Case Study Guide
What is a case interview?
There are many different types of case interviews common in financial services. At Capital One, our case interviews are conversations focused on real business problems from a variety of industries.
What does a case interview assess?
Case interviews give us an opportunity to gauge how you solve problems, and give you a chance to test drive the type of work you'll be doing as an associate. We are looking for you to demonstrate:
- Communication skills
- Conceptual problem solving skills
- Quantitative analytical skills
How do you prepare for a case interview?
The best way to prepare for a case interview is to practice! We've included a sample case and video to help you prepare. Candidates from all different educational and professional backgrounds can be successful with practice.
As you prepare, remember to:
- LEARN: Get exposure to cases; while our cases are unique, the more you learn how cases work generally, the more comfortable you will be in your interview. Often university departments, business schools, and career services will have resources for case interview prep.
- DO: Master the details by actually working through the numbers and questions in the cases you review. Do NOT memorize a list of industry terms, instead, be prepared for terms you don't know, and ask your caser about them.
- ENGAGE: Leverage as many additional resources as you can. Attend any case workshops you are invited to, and ask your recruiter about additional case prep events or practice case opportunities.